Why are all of my Living Room Workout Club workouts so fast paced? Why do I move from one exercise to the next with little to no rest? What is all of this HIIT talk you've been hearing?
Well, HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is a big buzz word lately, and I am totally hopping on the bandwagon, and here's why.
Top 7 reasons why I HIIT:
1. It's efficient. I'm a mom, teacher, business owner and above all I'm only human. There are only a so many hours in the day. You can squeeze in an HIIT workout in as little as 10 minutes. And it's not just a short workout. Research shows you can achieve more progress in a mere 15 minutes of HIIT training (done 3 times per week) than jogging on the treadmill for an hour!
2. No equipment necessary. The cornerstone exercises of HIIT require only the weight of your own body. I do like to work in some dumbbells and a few odd and ends here and there, but in a pinch you can get a great workout in anywhere, anytime!
3. It burns more fat. The intensity of HIIT kicks your body's repair cycle into gear. You are still burning calories for the full 24 hours after an HIIT session!
4. It's good for your heart. HIIT pushes you into the anaerobic zone (you know, when you feel like you can't breathe and your heart is beating out of your chest) and quickly builds cardioresperatory efficiency and endurance.
5. It helps you lose fat, not muscle. With diet alone, it's hard to loose fat without losing muscle too. Studies show that weight training as part of HIIT allows you to preserve those hard earn muscles while losing fat, especially with proper protein in your diet (but I'll save that for a later blog post). But wait, there's more! More muscle helps burn more calories. Win/Win!
6. It increases your metabolism. You may feel hungrier in the day after an HIIT session. Don't get discouraged, that means it working! Just eat heathy and you are on your way to a stronger healthier you! With more muscle, having your body in repair mode, and the up regulation of human growth hormone your body will come a calorie burning machine.
7. It's challenging (the opposite of boring). Because these workout are short, you'll be working hard the whole time. You can do anything for 20-40 seconds. By the time your mind starts to wander, you'll be on to the next thing. You may be in pain, you may be sucking wind, but you definitely won't be bored!