Are you getting enough fiber? I'm not sure I am so I'm going to start a fiber challenge. I know fiber isn't something we all like to talk about because of its connection to our trips to the bathroom, but it's something that is extremely important to our health.
What is it?
Fiber is the indigestible component of food derived from plants. It remains more or less the same from one end to the other if you know what I mean. There are two varieties, soluble and insoluble.
What does it do?
Soluble fiber forms a gel like consistency in the stomach and slows digestion. This helps lower cholesterol and blood glucose and help you feel fuller longer.
Insoluble fiber aids in moving your digested food through your intestines more easily. It keeps things moving, if you will.
Together fiber helps controls blood sugar and appetite and aids in digestion.
How much should you eat?
The Institute of Medicine recommends consuming 25-35 grams of fiber a day. I found this great resource that shows the fiber content in many common foods. Use this to figure out how much fiber you are consuming in a day.
So here's the challenge. Keep track of your fiber consumption for the next 21 days (it takes 21 days to form a new habit right?). Make sure you are getting at least 25 grams per day. Maybe you have to change your diet, maybe you won't. I'm pretty sure I will! I think this is going to be the push my body needs to get rid of the extra bit I'm holding onto around my belly. I'm even going to take before and after picture to see if it works :) Who's with me?
In honor of Earth Day today, I wanted to share some benifits of excerciings outside in nature
1. Fresh air energizes your body.
2. Greenscapes make you feel happier and less stressed.
3. Nature is full of sensory stimulation.You have more to look at while you are exercising which helps you work for longer.
4. Exercising outdoors puts more demands on your body and burns more calories. The uneven landscapes - small bumps, holes, ups and dows - all add an extra challenge to your workout.
5. Sun exposure increases vitamin D levels ensuring healthy bones and teeth and is also associated with lowering blood pressure.
6 It’s FREE! No membership required!
Love to shop online and save money?
Click here to check out my favorite shopping club!
It's better than Amazon!
I shop here for everything from tooth paste to laundry detergent to protein powder to essential oils....to all. the. coffee!