I wanted Drew to have the full smash cake experience, but I didn't want him to have too much sugar AND its nearly impossible to take food away from him. So I found and modified a recipe for a no sugar added banana cake. I topped it with an no sugar added cream cheese frosting and some blueberries and strawberry pieces for decoration.
As you can tell from the photo, HE LOVED IT and I felt comfortable letting him eat as much as he wanted :)
The following recipe makes enough for two 8 or 9″ round pans or 1 8 or 9" round pan and half dozen cup cakes. I made the latter so that some of the other babies at his party could enjoy some healthy cake too.
Healthy No Sugar Banana Cake
1. Mash the bananas in a medium bowl.
2. In a separate large bowl, mix the flours, baking soda, and cinnamon together.
3. Add the mashed bananas, applesauce, coconut oil, and vanilla to the flour mixture. Mix just until incorporated.
4. Coat pan and/or muffin tins with oil.
5. Spread the batter into the bottom of the pans.
6. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes. Check with a toothpick for doneness.
7. Cool the cakes before frosting.
I used a small bowl to cut the 9" cake into 3 smaller circle that I frosted together as a smaller layered cake.
Healthy No Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting
1. Soften the cream cheese.
2. Whip the cream cheese with the apple juice concentrate and vanilla extract in the blender until creamy.
I spelled out the "1" with blueberries.
Love to shop online and save money?
Click here to check out my favorite shopping club!
It's better than Amazon!
I shop here for everything from tooth paste to laundry detergent to protein powder to essential oils....to all. the. coffee!